Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: DOGME films

  1. #1
    Inactive Member ThomYorke's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 26th, 2000
    Posts
    42
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Just wondering,

    What is everyone's opinion of the danish DOGME film theory, and indeed the films themselves?

    I saw Mifune the other day, and aside from finding it a great film, I thought it was an interesting portrayal of the DOGME rules in practice.

    Your thoughts?


  2. #2
    Inactive Member tashunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2000
    Posts
    141
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have not seen any of the Dogme films so my comments may be a bit premature, however here they are--------------

    As I understood it these rules where developed to encourage the story instead of the images and give amature filmmakers some guidelines to create films on an even keel.
    Rule #9 states that all films must be shot in Academy 35mm film. Why is this necessary if the images don't matter and how the f^#k do they expect the average Joe to shoot in Academy 35mm.
    Rule #10-Director is given no credit. ???????? I don't see any reason why everyone except the director would receive credit. If I'm going to spend that much energy, time, money your damn right I want some credit for it. The Director of "The Celebration" has definitely taken credit for his film. Maybe his name wasn't on the screen at the end but he's definitely taking credit.

    The rest of the rules are fairly understandable. You can view them at www.dogme95.dk under the Vow of Chastity.

    The thing I agree least about Dogme is that they say movies are not about the images. If this is the case then why on earth would you go to the extent of shooting and editing. Why would you not just publish a book and be happy with it. That way everyone can make their own images in their mind and you can spend a year of your life writing more pretty stories. Motion pictures are definitely an aesthetic medium, no one can argue that. It takes your vision to fully experience a film. Story and Images must be equally considered when making a film otherwise you will create a product that is lacking in one area.

    thats all.
    tash.

    ------------------
    "Grab a handful of St. John's Wort and a Giant Coke Slurpee and go make a movie."

  3. #3
    Inactive Member ThomYorke's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 26th, 2000
    Posts
    42
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't agree with the Dogme theory of not crediting the director - so what if his name does not appear on the screen? Everyone knows that Lars Von Trier made 'The Idiots', and every time a reference is made to any Dogme film in the press, the directors name is invariably mentioned.

    The intentions are good (don't credit the director so that there are no preconceived notions brought to the film by the audience), but for a lot of the time, they don't hold up, as they're a bit hard to follow through with.

    The idea is to return a sort of purity to film, which I feel is a good thing but I think that they've sort of painted themselves into a corner with these much-hyped rules.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Matt J Heaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2000
    Posts
    430
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree with Tash. Though I haven't seen any Dogme films so they might be good but I think the whole concept is horseshit.

    Film is visual.

    I did tape a program about Dogme that was on channel 4 a while back but I'm yet to watch it. The short bits I saw looked awful.
    But I won't judge it yet.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member LAmind's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2000
    Posts
    301
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Thumbs up

    Dogme is the dubmest crap ever. The rules are stupid. Who are we sopposed to credit for making the film if no the director? Images don't matter? What the hell is that about? Images matter as much as everything alse.

    Thom Yorke- I love your music, looking forward to KID A. j/k

    -Ivan

    ------------------
    "A place for everything and everything in it's place".

  6. #6
    Inactive Member MatJimMood's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2nd, 2000
    Posts
    233
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I saw 'The Celebration' on channel four and enjoyed it. As for the visuals not mattering the makers of this film must of disagreed also. Some of the shots really stood out, they made the most of the flexability of the DV cameras.

    I actually quite like the idea of the dogme movement. At least they are trying to do something different and refreshing, they also make the use of DV cameras more acceptable in major films.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Matt J Heaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2000
    Posts
    430
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So you don't have to use 35mm?

  8. #8
    Inactive Member MatJimMood's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2nd, 2000
    Posts
    233
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't think that the makers of 'The Celebration' stuck to all the rules, they just used them as a guideline.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member tashunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2000
    Posts
    141
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's something I was thinking about.....in order to receive a Dogme certificate you must adhere to all the rules...according to the site, The Celebration was the first certified Dogme film. I guess perhaps they are flexible on the rules. I think it's more of a publicity stunt than anything else. Create some hype about yourselves, be it positive or negative, and people will watch your films. Blair Witch Project is a perfect example.

    ttyl.
    tash.

    ------------------
    "Grab a handful of St. John's Wort and a Giant Coke Slurpee and go make a movie."

  10. #10
    Inactive Member N. Foster Tyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2000
    Posts
    211
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, you can shoot in any format you want, but the finished film MUST be Academy 35mm before recieving the Dogme certificate. Dogme is not about images because it emphasizes and focuses solely on characters and story. The film takes place only where the story takes place. So it's very actor and performance oriented. I kind of the the idea of cinema being stripped to it's gritty bare bones. It's quite refreshing from all the special-effects that we are used to; almost like theatre.

    The director is not credited because it's not about who made the film, or self-promotion. Dogme is based upon the idea that the film exists, and should be criticized, solely on it's own terms.

    -N. Foster Tyler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •